Monday, December 6, 2010

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Happy big 6-0 to the man I've loved longer than any other - my dad.
He lulled me to sleep by singing "Little GTO" and the Boy Scouts' "Trail the Eagle" because he didn't know any lullabies.  Daddy's never been one to try and be something he's not.  He's the man who taught me important life skills, like riding a bike { sweet shorts, by the way }...
... and the proper use of firearms.  Not to mention making sure that I knew what he would do with a firearm should any unworthy male suitor make any sudden moves.  { Good thing Spencer passed the test. }
He's the one who gave me my sense of humor and the way that my cheeks stick out and my eyes close when I smile too big { although strangely I do not posses his ability to speak cat }.
And he taught be how to be Southern. { An important thing in this girl's life. }
And of course he showed me what to do when giant redwood trees are falling out of the sky.  { Stand there and scream like a damsel in distress while the boys try to hold it up, duh. }
A third generation Bulldog, my dad worked his way through college living in someone's basement in Athens.  He tells stories about living off of Dinty Moore Beef Stew and working all day just to come home and study all night.  { At least he says he studied all night. :) }  I was never more proud than to ask him to walk me onto the field for Homecoming...
 ... until the day he walked me down the aisle.
One year for Father's Day, when I was young and Katie was still just a baby, my mom snuck out of bed late at night to cross-stitch a surprise.  I didn't understand it then { I fixated on the little mallards flying all around the border }, but I'll never forget what it says:

Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a Daddy.

You're someone special for sure, Daddy.  Happy birthday!

PS - Thanks for not letting mom name me Merry Carol.  PTL for the paternal veto.  I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment