Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Baker's Marathon

This weekend, I will single-handedly undertake the largest culinary feat ever attempted in my kitchen.  And I am unbelievably excited.  Witness:
{ Pardon the wine.  It's not for the cake.  Technically. }
What IS all that, you ask? Why, it's...
  • 14 lbs of confectioner's sugar
  • 3 lbs of cream cheese
  • 4 lbs of butter
  • 18 eggs
  • 5 boxes of butter recipe cake mix
  • 1 gallon of buttermilk
  • 4 waxed cake rounds
  • One 12-inch cake cake pan { which will be baked in twice }
  • Three 9-inch cake pans
  • 48 cupcake liners
  • And the list goes on.
All for red velvet goodness to feed 125 people.  My sweet friend/colleague Amy and her husband are expecting a baby soon.  And we're throwing them a shower at work on Monday.  Like me and Spencer, they both work at our same company.  And they're very well-loved { hence the 125 people }.

I have friends who train for marathons.  It's a very admirable undertaking, and they train for months.  I feel sort of like I've trained for this, too.  I made mom the Rose Cake for Mother's Day.  I made Hydrangea Cupcakes not long before that.  And I made a massive trip to Costco on Sunday.

Combining the roses and the hydrangeas into one cake gives you something like this.
{ love i am baker }
And this is exactly what I'm going to attempt.  Though imagine it has pink roses and blue hydrangeas, since we don't know if Baby C is a boy or a girl.  It should feed 75 people.  Then for the other 50 or so, cupcakes!  Half with the hydrangeas, half with the roses.

I've got my apron ready.  If I thought I could start tonight, I would.  Bring it on!

1 comment:

  1. Ummmm...you are amazing. Baby C loves you already. More than you know. Can't wait for Monday!

    ReplyDelete