Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Deja Vu

It's a strange feeling to come back to a place you've been before, only under a vastly different set of circumstances.  The change in perspective it brings is worthwhile.

I'm staying at a hotel in Dallas, sitting here in the lobby with a glass of cranberry juice.  Last I was in this hotel was in 2006 for a job interview.  I was a senior at UGA, and it was the first time I had ever really traveled alone.  I had gotten myself on a plane, into a cab (first time I'd ever gotten one by myself!) and into the city to this very spot.  And I was terrified.  I had a non-stop day of interviews ahead, arguably the most intense I've ever faced.  The result of that day was a job offer with an incredible ad agency.

I vividly remember the churning in my stomach that this chain of events set forth; never before had God placed not one but two incredible opporunities before me.  I could see myself in either place, and I agonized over which to choose.  They were both perfect for me!  Ultimately, I turned down the advertising job.  I prayed (harder than ever) and stepped out in faith to move to Atlanta.  At the time, it was the toughest choice I'd ever had to make.

And today I am back in that same hotel lobby.  I love seeing the plan that God laid out for my life has unfolded.  Had I taken that job in Dallas, I would never have met my husband.  Who knows where I'd be living or really even what I'd be doing.  Ironically, I'm here in Dallas to meet with the very agency that I intereviewed with.  I work with them every day, in fact.  I'm about to enter through the very same door and go up the same elevator as I did that day.  Heck, I might even end up in the same conference room.

So while four years ago I was longing for some combination of the two job opportunities before me, God knew that one day I would have it.  (Tell that to my 22 year old self!)  It boggles my mind to know that He holds every aspect of my life in His control, even when I can't fathom how things will turn out.

There's a girl across the lobby - clearly a student, possibly here for an interview.  I wonder what she's thinking.  Wonder what the ripple effect of today will be for her.  The possibilities are endless!

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord.
"Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to
give you hope and a future..." - Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment