Sunday, April 10, 2011

Citrus Mint Iced Tea

For about the 100th time, I'm trying to kick the diet Coke habit.  This time it's going surprisingly well.  { Guess it helps to start when you're not feeling well and already taking medicine so that the withdrawal headache doesn't come back to bite you. }

But with limiting myself to just one can of diet Coke a day... I've been getting bored with water.  And with as warm as it's been, I took Saturday as the perfect opportunity to test out an iced tea recipe I've been mulling over. Last spring, I was at a shower and they served a fabulous citrus mint iced tea.  I've been trying to recreate it ever since, and I think this is it!

Citrus Mint Iced Tea
Yield - One Gallon
Three tea bags (I used Lipton decaffeinated)
1 lemon (or lemon juice)
1 lime (or lime juice)
1 cup granulated sugar (although I used Splenda)
Fresh mint springs (I used two about 3-4 inches long, plus additional for garnish)
  • Fill a 2-cup measuring cup with water, add tea bags, and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
  • Remove measuring cup from microwave and remove tea bags.  Add mint springs and replace tea bags.  The tea bags should hold the mint beneath the surface of the liquid.
  • Allow tea and mint to steep at least 10 minutes.
  • While tea is steeping, pour sugar into pitcher or other container.  Add hot tap water and stir, dissolving sugar.
  • When tea is finished steeping, pour over sugar water.  Squeeze out tea bags and discard mint sprigs if desired.
  • Add the juice of 1/2 the lemon and 1/2 the lime (or 1-2 tablespoons of each juice) to the pitcher and stir well.
  • Fill remainder of pitcher with water and add more lemon/lime juice or sugar to taste.
  • Serve over ice and garnish with lemon/lime slices or mint sprigs.
Crisp, refreshing, and perfect for a sweltering summer (or at this point, spring!) day.  Next time I throw a baby shower or a brunch I think I'll serve this instead of punch.  I made a pitcher Saturday and we drank the whole thing in 24 hours... so I might be making more tonight.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment