Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Great Cake Debate

Did you know that red velvet cake is really just colored chocolate cake? { GASP. } Now, I am not so much a lover of chocolate cake.  Heresy for someone who likes to bake, I know.  I can pass up chocolate cake all day long and not bat an eye.  But put a red velvet cupcake in front of me and I can't say no.  It comes with cream cheese frosting!  Nothing that comes with cream cheese frosting can be bad.

A few girls in my office got into a debate last week regarding chocolate cake versus red velvet cake.  As the resident office-baker-wannabe, they called me in to mediate.  { Via Twitter.  While riding the shuttle bus.  I love technology. } And I'm more than happy to oblige, ladies.  This is my kind of assignment!
But how does one settle this great cake debate and determine if red velvet cake is indeed better than classic chocolate cake?  Or heck, can anyone even tell the difference?  I'm thinking that a blind taste test is in order.

I intend to bake a big ol' batch of miniature chocolate cupcakes and miniature red velvet cupcakes, both with identical cream cheese frosting.  { Please.  I paid attention in middle school science.  I know you can only test one variable at a time.  Even if my mom and sister, the teachers of the family, are probably laughing at me right now. I'm at least trying to make this legit. }

So now the question is... do we compare scratch recipes or should I use the same brand of box mix for more consistency?  What would you do? Do you have a recipe we should use? { And if you're in the office, do you want in? }

Photo Credits: Red Velvet Cake and Chocolate Cake

4 comments:

  1. Heck yes I am in. I think we should test a pair from scratch and a pair from the box.
    Payden

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait for this epic taste test! I would think the same brand of box could work, but that is my humble non-experienced baker opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great question! I think it should definitely be tested and I am all in for helping to solve the mystery! Let me know if I can help!

    ReplyDelete