Wednesday, June 1, 2011

How does your garden grow?

When Spencer and I went to Disney a few weeks ago, we spent a day at Epcot.  The nerd in me was super-excited about Future World and the World Showcase!
{ Love that this hasn't chagned a bit. }
Now, my memories of Epcot as a kid involve Spaceship Earth, a light-up Captain EO visor and Goofy in a space suit.  { For the record, Captain EO is back in all its 1986 George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola glory.  Complete with moon-walking MJ and the original special effects.  Oh my. }
{ Poster cpyright Disney, of course. }
But what amazed me about Epcot this go around was that we were lucky enough to visit during their annual HGTV Flower and Garden Festival.  Given the recent demise of my rosemary, I'm no professional gardener.  But, I figure, I started off buring stuff in the kitchen before I was a halfway decent cook.  I guess you've got to kill a few plants to figure out how not to.

The festival provided inspiration on a multitude of fronts.  First, the topiaries:

{ Minnie's dress is made of begonias! }
{ Lightning McQueen and Tow Mater }
{ Look at sweet little Dopey! }
{ Love the Tick Tock Croc and the plume on Hook's hat }
But as much as I can aspire to a garden like my mom's { or like the pros at Disney, same difference }, we live in a townhouse.  With no yard.  So maybe topiaries aren't in my future.  Besides, if I had topiaries, they'd probably be of the "Eat More Chicken" cows.  Not sure my HOA would like that.  Nor do they like the dead rosemary.

So if I can't pull off an elaborate topiary, and the dead rosemary has to go, how about something a little more along these lines?
{ Maybe this I can do.  Maybe. }
With a little help and encouragement from Mom, I emptied the rosemary's pot and added pea gravel for drainage.
{ Take that, root rot. }
It's no Disney masterpiece, but I transplanted the Creeping Jenny { that somehow survived a winter on the deck } along with a new honeysuckle vine Mom propagated.
With the random Creeping Jenny now on the front porch and my feeling inspired { and again, encouraged by Mom }, we now have two red white and blue planters on the deck, too.

If this 95* weather doesn't kill them and I manage to water regularly, perhaps these will survive the summer!

How does your garden grow?  Any tips for a beginner?

1 comment:

  1. Meg! I just read your guest post over at heathier happier bear. I was so surprised to look at a blog I subscribe to and found randomly through the blogosphere and see someone I know! I loved your post and you are very inspiring. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete