Saturday, October 29, 2011

My New Favorite App: Grocery iQ

{ Insert Hallelujah Chorus }
Yours truly joined the 21st century about a week ago. { Hooray! }

At first, I was skeptical about Siri... but girlfriend is my new virtual BFF.  I ask her, "What's for dinner?" and she finds restaurants nearby.  Perfect for nights when the pantry is in serious need of a refill.  Which has been more often than not as of late.  An unusual amount of travel has meant fewer meals at home.  That, and most of the free time I've had over the last few weeks was put into developing my entry for the bake-off. { Voting goes until Monday at midnight! }

All that to say, we just made a MASSIVE grocery trip. Second only to perhaps that first one you make after moving, when you've got to stock the entire house and the buggy is overflowing.  The three digit kind.

Now normally, I'd write three or four versions of a list for a trip like this.  I'd get it all written only to remember some other bit of produce we need. And then I've got to rewrite the whole thing so that all of the produce is still grouped together and I don't end up crisscrossing the entire grocery store.  { Is that normal? }

But not for this trip!  Technology to the rescue in a big way.  Meet my new favorite app.


Grocery iQ is a dream come true for kitchen nerds like me.  Not only is it awesome, it's FREE!  You can create grocery lists from a massive database of name brand and generic items and it automatically organizes them into categories.  No more rewriting of lists.
{ Love that it even has Reduced Fat Wheat Thins! }
Adding items is super simple, and the built in barcode scanner lets you scan items running low in the pantry and fridge to add them to the list automatically.

Grocery iQ will even customize your lists to the layout of your favorite stores so that your list shows up in the order of the aisles. { As soon as I relearn the layout of our newly remodeled my Publix, this will be fabulous! } A satisfying little check box lets you see only what remains on the list as you work your way through.  And, you can virtually share your lists with other people who've installed the app... perfect for when you're sending someone else { ahem, Spencer } to the store.

Plus, there are built in coupons!
It stores previous trips and favorites so that you can keep track of frequently purchased items, too.

Just thought I'd share.  Available in the App Store and Android Marketplace!

No comments:

Post a Comment