Sunday, October 9, 2011

Spencer's Lemon Bars

Sometimes, Spencer comes with me to the grocery store.  He pushes the buggy while I run around matching coupons with sales and tracking down the things on our list.  And trying to stay out of his way so the back of my ankles don't get run into.  :)

A few weeks ago, we were on the baking aisle. { Surprise, surprise. I practically live there. } I returned to the cart with a bag of flour, and Spencer was standing there with his arms outstretched holding a box.  He asked, "Maybe one day will you make these for me?" Bless his sweet heart, the man wants lemon bars.  And the reality is, control-freak-me usually makes what I want.

So if the man wants lemon bars, lemon bars he will get.  And not from a box.

I've no idea where I got this recipe.  It's been on a piece of paper in my blue pantry folder for years.  Crust like a shortbread cookie paired with a delightfully tangy topping.  When I made them, Spencer wouldn't let me take them to work.  That's the sign of a sure-fire winner in this house!


Spencer's Lemon Bars
makes 18 bars
Ingredients
  • Crust
    • 1 cup { 2 sticks } cold butter
    • 1 3/4 cup flour
    • 2/3 cup confectioner's sugar
  • Topping
    • 1 1/2 cup plain white granulated sugar
    • 1/4 cup flour
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 4 eggs, slightly beaten
    • 1/2 cup lemon juice
    • 2 teaspoons lemon zest
Equipment
  • Whisk
  • Pastry blender
  • Medium and large mixing bowls
  • 9"x13" baking pan
Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 350*.
  • Begin preparing crust.  Whisk flour and confectioner's sugar together in a medium bowl.
  • Cut in butter { using a pastry blender or knife and fork } until coarse and crumbly.
{ Cutting the butter into tablespoons will help it blend more easily. }

{ It will still be very dry, so don't worry! }
  • Pour mixture into a 9" x 13" pan.
  • Press mixture evenly into bottom of pan.
  • Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
  • While crust is baking, prepare topping.  Start by mixing sugar, flour and baking powder in a large bowl.  Then add slightly beaten eggs, lemon juice and lemon zest.

  • Mix well and pour over warm baked crust.
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes.
  • When cool, cut into bars and dust with confectioner's sugar.
  • Keep refrigerated.  Serve cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment