Monday, September 6, 2010

Just Peachy

Nothing says Georgia like peaches!  As a kid, my grandparents would take us to Montezuma in the summer to pick our own, and we'd bring back a whole bushel.  We'd have cobbler and ice cream until we popped.  (Unless of course I managed to get the rock salt into the ice cream instead of onto the ice... which may or may not have happened once or twice. : )

We had friends over this afternoon to send summer out in style (and let the boys watch football), so I thought one last peach cobbler would be the perfect way to end the season.  While I love the crumbly, strudel-like topping my mom makes, I went for a Paula Dean recipe today instead.  Something about the way that the crust starts out on the bottom and yet somehow winds up on top is just fun.  And it's perfectly thick without being too dense.

I used a mixture of traditional and white peaches, as I couldn't find enough traditional peaches that were ripe to my liking at the grocery store.  That, and I didn't realize I'd gotten three regular and and two white ones until we got home.  Apparently it didn't matter much, because between the seven of us we nearly ate the dish clean!

Ingredients
  • 4 cups peeled, sliced peaches
  • 2 cups sugar, divided
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 8 tablespoons butter
  • 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • Ground cinnamon, optional
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350* F.
  2. Combine the peaches, 1 cup sugar, and water in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
  3. Put the butter in a 3-quart baking dish and place in oven to melt.
  4. Mix remaining 1 cup sugar, flour, and milk slowly to prevent clumping. Pour mixture over melted butter. Do not stir. Spoon fruit on top, gently pouring in syrup. Sprinkle top with ground cinnamon, if using. Batter will rise to top during baking. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
  5. To serve, scoop onto a plate and serve with your choice of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

1 comment: