Thursday, September 30, 2010

Save or Splurge? Kitchen Edition.

{ Worth every penny! }
It seems like money is tighter for everyone these days.  Or, at the very least, we're all trying to be smarter on how we save and spend.  In our house, that means we eat out less and think twice about unnecessary new things.  I buy store brands when I can and I've even become a pretty dedicated coupon user. { Gasp!  I know.  More on that later. }

But in all this saving, there are some places that the scrimp just isn't worth it.  I'm a girl who'd rather have one really awesome, really nice pair of shoes that I wear constantly { currently, it's these beauties } over ten cheap pair that hurt my feet.  It's cost per wear that counts in my mind!

I get what that means in my closet.  But what does it mean in my other favorite place, the kitchen?  I have to admit, I've bought store brand on some things and ended up throwing them away because the loss of quality just wasn't worth it.  But in other cases, I can discern no difference.  So here, in my experience, is where it's best to save and where it's best to splurge in the kitchen.

Save
Paper Products - We get all of our paper towels, trash bags and the like at Costco.  I buy their Kirkland Signature brand.  The major warehouse stores have crazy high standards for their private label items.  They demand that they meet or exceed the quality of the top national brands.  I have a good friend who used to market bath tissue, and packaged her expensive brand for a warehouse club as their private label!  Same stuff, much better price.  The same goes for trash bags, aluminum foil, etc. 
{ These even fit our SimpleHuman trash can! }
Wine - It doesn't have to be crazy expensive to be good.  And just because it's expensive, doesn't mean that it's good, either.  If you like it, that's all that matters.  There's no reason you can't get a good - even great - bottle for less than $15. 
Butter - Someone tried to tell me once that good butter makes a big difference.  I bake all the time, and I use the store brand stuff.  So does my mom.  As long as you're not storing it next to a cut onion in the refrigerator, I say save away. 
Baking Basics - From a chemical perspective, sugar is sugar!  Same with baking soda, flour and more.  I pour mine into air-tight canisters as soon as I get home, so it's not worth the extra money for ten minutes with a Dixie Crystals logo. : )
Splurge
Olive Oil  - Keep a small bottle of the the best kind you can afford for use in salad dressing, dipping bread, etc..  If you're just going to sauté something in olive oil, the lesser expensive varieties are perfectly fine.
Vanilla Extract - Avoid imitation vanilla extract { read: not vanilla }.  It's made from coal tar.  Yes, you read that correctly.  Coal tar. And it takes twice as much imitation vanilla to equal the flavor of the real deal.  A little bit of vanilla extract goes a long way, so a good bottle will last.  I love Neilsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla best.  Many specialty retailers carry it, including the Williams-Sonoma Outlet!
Organic Greens - I have a nutritionist friend who swears that the only time it's worth buying organic produce is for things that are hard to wash, like lettuce or spinach.  A good, quick scrub should remove pesticide residue from other vegetables, fruits, etc.
Organic Milk - We don't drink a ton of milk in our house.  I started buying organic milk largely because the expiration date is so much further out and I was tired of pouring out wasted milk.  But, the more I read, the more I prefer to avoid scary stuff like rBS and rGBH.  And although I buy organic milk, it's still Publix brand!
Honestly, though, it all comes down to what you value.  So where do you save and splurge?

2 comments:

  1. I agree on all points (especially on the shoes and vanilla!) except for milk. Publix house brand (non organic) is rBS and rGBH free. Not sure what the difference is??
    -Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. The biggest perk of the organic for us is the longer expiration date. But if we had a house full of little ones like y'all do, I bet we could drink a whole gallon of the regular before it went bad! : )

    ReplyDelete