Sunday, September 26, 2010

Perfect Pancakes

Happy National Pancake Day!

Let me start off by saying that up until a few months ago, I was a waffle fan.  Hardcore.  I think my dad is the only person on earth who can simultaneously burn the outside of a pancake while the inside is still raw and gooey.  It's a talent.  My sister knows what I'm talking about.  She reacted by starting to make the pancakes at our house, and I reacted with a serious love of waffles.  { I'm older.  There were a good few years with our sweet Dad and his dual pancakes before Kates came along! }

{ Not my photo.  Not my recipe, either. But YUM! }
But, one Friday morning recently, I came into work to the sounds of quite a party in the breakroom.  Now, spontaneous parties aren't entirely uncommon in our office and they usually involve food.  { We are a restaurant company, after all. } This party in particular was the birth of the Pancake Posse.  We're talking electric griddles, colorful aprons, Motown music, and the pancakes that converted me.

This recipe comes from the kitchen of my sweet coworker and baker extraordinaire, Anna Queen.  I'm so glad she was kind enough to share it with me!  And if you work with us... don't fret.  There's another spontaneous pancake party in the works.  Just listen for Motown.

Pancake Posse Pancakes
These pancakes are perfectly fluffy and they hold their own with a variety of mix-ins.  My favorite?  Crushed Nature Valley granola bars { the crunchy ones... just stick 'em in a food processor for a sec } with blueberries.  Kates would vote for chocolate chips.
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup and 2 tablespoons flour
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Mix everything together and give it a minute to rest.  Then, pour and flip away.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment