Friday, September 2, 2011

End of Summer Salad

It's Labor Day weekend.  Next week, no more white pants.  No more seersucker.  At least, not until Easter.  { Sorry, I'm a traditionalist at heart. } And as much as I'm over this ridiculous heat, and as much as I'm excited for Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Sbux and Pumpkin Schmear at Einstein's... there are some things about summer that I'll miss.  Like this.

It sounds weird.  Watermelon. Feta. Tomatoes. Mint. Basil. But oh, it's so good.  The first time someone offered me this salad, I was inches from passing.  But I'm so glad I went for it.

Unlike my white pants, however, I will continue to make and eat this goodness as long as my tomato plants will allow!

Watermelon & Feta Salad

Ingredients
  • 1/4 medium seedless watermelon
  • 3 large tomatoes
  • 1 medium red onion
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
  • 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Equipment
  • Large knife
  • Cutting board
  • Large mixing bowl
  • Small mixing bowl
  • Whisk
Instructions
  • First, cut the watermelon and tomatoes into roughly one-inch cubes.
  • Toss them together into a large mixing bowl.
  • Cut red onion into quarters, then slice as thinly as possible. Add to mixing bowl.
  • Chop basil and mint, then throw them in there, too.
  • Add feta.
  • Whisk olive oil, sugar and balsamic in small bowl until well mixed.
  • Pour dressing over watermelon mixture and toss to coat.
  • Season with salt and pepper.
  • Garnish with additional basil or mint. Serve chilled.

Enjoy... AND GO DAWGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment