Monday, September 19, 2011

A Taste of Smyrna

For four years now, I've seen the "Taste of Smyrna" festival advertised.  And for four years I've had one reason or another not to attend.  { Though now none of them come to mind.  What was I doing that was so important? }

But this year... we finally made it!

Held on Saturday at the Village Green, there were nearly 18,000 people in attendance.  The weather was positively perfect.  And now I know what we were missing these last few years... we had a blast!

There were the usual inflatable kid's games and several live bands, but for us the highlight was definitely the food.  { Are you surprised? } We can vouch that they don't call it the "Festival of Delectable" without good reason.

We went with a group of Spencer's college friends, which worked out really well.  Everyone was able to get a little of everything from most of the more than 25 exhibitors.
We cut right to the chase and started with deep fried brownies.  Ohmyword.  Not sure I could pull this off in my kitchen.  Mostly because I lack a deep fryer. And that's probably a good thing.  Otherwise I'd be frying everything I could find.
Atkins Park Tavern was there, and since they had my favorite Fried Green Tomatoes with Pimento Cheese, how could I resist? The vendor next door was hawking "Brisket on a Biscuit" like deranged auctioneer,  but my love for the FGT won out.
But by far the favorite of the entire group was Williamson Brothers Bar-B-Q.  Between the intoxicating smell of the wood-burning pit and the long line, we knew we were in for a treat.
We got a pulled pork sandwich with quite possibly the best BBQ sauce I've ever had.
Spencer was in hog heaven. { Pardon the pun. }
And then there were the ribs.  Fall-off-the-bone.  Why they came with a bun...?  We're not exactly sure.  But it did soak up the sauce quite nicely.
And we finished it all off with Cake Batter Ice Cream from the Cold Stone booth.  Did you know that September 27, between 5:00 - 8:00, you can join in on the world's largest ice cream social and get a free 3-ounce "Sprinkled With Wishes"?  All to raise money for Make-A-Wish.
All that to say... I will not be making any excuses for missing the Taste of Smyrna next year!  Maybe one day I'll have my own little booth and sell cupcakes. : )

2 comments:

  1. You should have taken a pic of Charlotte eyeing us while we were eating that ice cream!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I'm so bummed we didn't make it...sometimes college football can mess up life! :)
    2. Atkins Park FGT's are my FAVORITE! We get them at every restaurant that offers them and so far Atkins Park has not been beat.

    ReplyDelete