Sunday, September 25, 2011

Penne with Mushrooms, Onions, Roasted Chicken and Sherry

I'm one of those people that tends to get the exact same thing at a restaurant every time I go.  Creature of habit?  Perhaps.  But I know what I like!

At the Cheesecake Factory, that dish for me is Pasta DaVinci.  It's penne, roasted chicken, caramelized red onion and baby portobello mushrooms... all tossed together in this light Madeira wine sauce.  {Why it's named for DaVinci, your guess is as good as mine. }

So when I got Sandra Lee's "Semi-Homemade Cooking Made Light" cookbook a few years ago for Christmas and came across a dish that near perfectly resembled Mr. DaVinci's pasta... I about backflipped.  And I've made it probably a hundred times since.

Different enough to seem impressive, easy enough to pull off on a weeknight, this is my go-to meal when a girlfriend is coming for dinner.  { Mostly because Spencer doesn't eat mushrooms.  When I get a chance to make this dish, I'm all over it! }

Sandra's recipe doesn't call for chicken, but I always add it.  She also asks for some random French spice mix that's nearly impossible to find, so I substitute there as well.

Bon appetit!
Penne with Mushrooms, Onions, Roasted Chicken and Sherry
Serves 6
Ingredients
  • 1 12-ounce package penne pasta
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 8-ounce packages baby portobello mushrooms { though white will work as well }
  • 1/4 cup dry sherry
  • 2 teaspoons tarragon
  • 1/2 cup beef broth
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • Rotisserie chicken
  • Fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • Freshly grated parmesan cheese
Equipment
  • Large skillet { I recommend at least 12" }
  • Stockpot for boiling pasta
Instructions
  • Boil enough salted water to accommodate the desired number of pasta servings.  Cook pasta according to package.  Drain and return to hot pot.  Cover to keep warm.
  • Heat olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onion and cook for 8-10 minutes or until softened and becoming translucent.
  • Add mushrooms and cook another ten minutes until soft.
  • While mushrooms and onions cook, carve chicken and pull into bite-sized pieces.  { I usually just use the white meat, then save the rest for salads or something else. }
  • Stir sherry and tarragon together in measuring cup { or small bowl }.  Add to skillet, stir and cook until liquid is evaporated.
  • Whisk beef broth and sour cream together in a small bowl.  Add to skillet, stir, and cook an additional 5 minutes.
  • Add chicken, stir, and cook until heated through.
  • Toss sauce mixture with hot cooked pasta.
  • Garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese.
Serve immediately.  Then close your eyes and pretend you're at the Cheesecake Factory.  Especially if you happen to have one of their cheesecakes in the freezer.  { Thank heaven for Costco! }

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog and I love it! I made this pasta dish last night. I added a little bit of mascarpone cheese with the sour cream for some richness, but didn't add the Parmesan at the end. I searched for the herbs she listed, but no luck. With all the other flavors in the dish, I imagine it is something along the line of herbs de provence. It is hard to find in the grocery store, but I see it all the time in the food section of Home Goods, T J Maxx, Marshall's, etc.

    Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete